2024 PROPERTY TAX LISTING

In compliance with North Carolina General Statute Chapter 105
“The Machinery Act of North Carolina”, all citizens must list their
property for taxation on or before January 31, 2024. Failure to list
taxable property by any person whose duty it is to list within the time
prescribed by law shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable by a
fine not to exceed $500.00, imprisonment not to exceed 6 months, or
both. The failure to list shall be prima facie evidence that the failure
was willful.

Listing Period: January 1 – January 31, 2024 N.C.G.S. 105-307
Businesses requesting extensions must do so in writing during
the January 1 – January 31 listing period; a request may also be
submitted via the Rockingham County Tax Administration website at

Listing Forms: Taxpayers who listed personal property in 2023 should
receive a preprinted listing form. First-time listers should request a form
from the County Tax Office. You may also download a listing form by
going to our website at
Not receiving a form has no bearing on the applicable penalties for
non-listing or late listing.

Walk-in Listing may be done at the Rockingham County Governmental
Center in Wentworth. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday. The Rockingham County Tax Administration does not
accept faxed or emailed listing forms. You can now list online. You will
need your Listing # and Owner ID # from your listing form. The office
will be closed Monday, January 15th.

Mail-in Listing: Forms submitted by mail shall be deemed to be filed as
of the date shown by the USPS postmark. If there is no postmark or if
the postmark date is any other than that affixed by the United States
Postal Service, the form shall be deemed to be filed when received in
the office of the Assessor. N.C.G.S. 105-311.

Real Estate: Real property owners are responsible for reporting
improvements made since January 1, 2023 (remodeling, additions, etc.)
other than cosmetic, painting, landscaping, and maintenance.
You will need to contact the Tax Office to obtain a form for reporting
these changes. If you purchased real estate in 2023, you should receive
a listing form for that property. You may also download a listing form by
going to our website at

Personal Property:
• Unregistered or junk motor vehicles (Vehicles that do not have a
current tag)
• All permanently tagged (not yearly renewals) vehicles must
be listed
• Vehicles with IRP or Apportioned tags
• Dogs & Cats
• Watercraft
• Boat Motors
• Business Property
• Aircraft
• Income-Producing Farm Equipment
• Mobile Homes
• Personal property used in conjunction with rental real estate

• Property Tax Relief for Elderly and Permanently and Totally Disabled
Persons: North Carolina excludes from property taxes the first
$25,000 or 50%, whichever is greater, of the appraised value of the
residence owned by a North Carolina resident aged 65 or older or
totally and permanently disabled whose income does not exceed
$36,700, including spouse’s if married. This exclusion covers
real property, or a mobile home occupied by the owner as his/her
permanent residence.
• If you received the exclusion in 2023, and your income does not
exceed $36,700 and property ownership has not changed, you
do not need to reapply in 2024.
• If the person receiving the exclusion in 2023 is deceased, the person
responsible for listing the property must notify the Tax Office.
• Persons wishing to apply for the first time may request a form from
the Tax Office. Please complete the application and return it along
with proof of income during the regular listing period. All required
documentation must be provided by June 1 of the tax year.
• NC Legislation provides two additional tax relief programs:
1) The Circuit Breaker under NCGS 105-277.1B-this is a deferment
of taxes and not an exclusion.
2) Disabled Veteran Exclusion NCGS 107-277.1C.
For an application or information, please contact the Tax Office,
come by the Governmental Center or access our website at
Land Use Value Applications are available at the Tax Office. Applications
must be made during the regular listing period for 2024 qualifications.
Exempt property owners must submit an application for exemption
of real and/or taxable personal property acquired in 2023 during the
regular listing period. Tax exempt status for income tax purposes does
not guarantee property tax exemption.
If you need assistance in completing your form or have any questions,
you may contact the TAX OFFICE at (336) 342-8305 or
visit our website at
Phones are busy during January and wait times in person
may be longer, so call early.


We can get very busy between now and January 5th. 

You can avoid the crowds by using the payment methods below:

You can send your payment by mail and we will use the postmark date as your payment date. 

We have a convenient outside secure dropbox to the left of the main entrance of the Governmental Center.

We have a secure interior dropbox right across from our collections counter inside. 

You can pay online by echeck, credit card or debit card. The charges for an echeck is $1.00. There is a convenience fee for using a credit card and debit card. You will be shown the amount of the fee prior to finalizing the checkout.

You can pay by phone using the information on your bill  There is a convenience fee for using a credit card and debit card. You will be shown the amount of the fee prior to finalizing the checkout.

If you call and leave a message-we will call you back as soon as we can. Due to call volume this time of year, it could be the next business day. Please only leave one message.


The Rockingham County Tax Administration has begun the first stage of the 2024 Real Property Appraisal project by partnering with Piner Appraisal. Beginning in November, Rockingham County residents should expect to see appraisers collecting data on homes in our area. 

 Piner Appraisal has been hired by County Officials to assist in this project. The appraisers performing the field work will be verifying the information the county tax department has on real estate. They verify this data by talking to our citizens, measuring structures and observing the condition of structures while making any changes to the information needed since the last appraisal.

 “This field work is very important,” Tax Administrator, Todd Hurst said when discussing this part of the project, The information the appraisers get now set the tone for our county for the next reappraisal which will take effect in 2024.  Hurst continued to say you may receive a door hanger notice if more information is needed.

 In addition to field work, appraisers will analyze the real estate market, gather construction cost information and research sales since the last reappraisal in 2019. The North Carolina General Statutes require all North Carolina counties to reappraise real property at least every 8 years. 

The Rockingham County Tax Department will be selling multiple properties at public auction on March 20, 2023, at the Rockingham County Courthouse. The auction will begin at 10 am. For further information, please visit the Rockingham County Tax Office's website at under the foreclosure tab or call the Tax Department at 336-342-8305.

Rockingham County Tax Administration has updated their website at to assist Real Property research. The new links are available to all-but are especially helpful to real estate professionals.

The last couple of years have reinforced the need for all of us to be able to research outside of normal business hours. Rockingham County Tax Administration has added 2 new links to our Property Record Search dashboard. Rockingham County GIS has also added these links. 
Instructions for use are located with the links.
Old Parcel Pin History has information on deeds and estate references that was retrieved from archived hand written records predating information available on our current computer system and property cards. 
Research Parcel Ancestry allows you to see the original parcel number of a parcel that has been split or combined into other parcels(s). Type in the parcel reference number to see the parcel(s)ancestry.




Click the link below to get more information on our 2024 Reappraisal of Real Property in Rockingham County!

Please click on the below link in order to link business personal property online or to request an extension until April 15th.

Electronic Listing System/ Electronic Extension Request System


You may also request an extension until April 15th by sending an email to


Effective 12/16/20 the fixed fee for Regulated Visa and MasterCard consumer debit cards will be lowered from $3.95 to $3.50.
The percentage rate for all other consumer debit  and credit cards  will be lowered from 2.65% to 2.25%.
Business cards, purchasing cards and high rewards cards will be raised from 2.65% to 3.25%.  
When paying you will see the convenience fee before you check out. This change takes place December 16th, 2020.

We have a new video on the Rockingham County 4-1-1 YouTube channel.

We get asked a lot why the return address on some of our mail and bills is not here in Wentworth.

This video explains why some of our mail and listing forms are returned to Mt. Airy. The video also helps explain why some of your payments go to Charlotte.

You can watch this video on our 4-1-1 channel (episode #20) or at the link below:


We can handle most questions and processes by mail, email, phone or our website!

Please call us before you drive out-and we can probably help you without you having to leave your home!

We want everyone to remain healthy during this health crisis.


NCDMV has an official app now available!

With myNCDMV app, you can renew your vehicle registration, pay vehicle property tax, order duplicate registration cards or order personal/specialized plates online.  Please visit the Apple App Store or Google Play on your cell phone in order to download the app.


We have recently received some calls on parcels that have a Z and a number at the end.

For example 123456Z1 , 123456Z2 or 123456Z6.

If you are searching our website or the County GIS website, and see a parcel with a Z and a number 1, 2 or 6 on the end, BE CAREFUL!

The Z and a number indicate that a tax parcel is split by a taxing jurisdictional line. This means that part of the parcel is taxed in one fire district or city and the remaining part of the parcel id taxed in another fire district or city.

The values and the acreage shown only apply to one part of the parcel. We have to split the acreage and value between both taxing jurisdictions.

If you see a parcel with a Z and a number at the end- like the examples shown- be sure to look for the other part of the parcel with a Z and a number.

Then add the acreages and values together for a total.

Please click on this link to get receipts for registered motor vehicles:

The Tax Department was informed today that VISA has made a change on the courtesy/transaction fee.

For several years the charge for using a VISA debit card was a flat $3.95.

Credit Card users were charged 2.65% of the transaction amount.

Some VISA debit cards remain at $3.95 while others will charge the 2.65% of the transaction courtesy fee.

Before finalizing your transaction the fees will be displayed.

We have requested clarification and are investigating this sudden change.  

Please click on this link to get receipts for registered motor vehicles:

I’ve surrendered my tag/plate to the NC DMV office, now what do I need to do?

Per NCGS? 105-330.6(c), depending on the ownership or status of the vehicle, the taxpayer may be due a refund on the property taxes.

The receipt given to the taxpayer upon the surrender of the plate gives the following information. 
“Note:  The County requires a copy of this receipt and a copy of the bill of sale within 1 year in order to process a possible release or refund of property taxes on this vehicle.”

In order for a refund to be processed the taxpayer may physically bring, fax or email a copy of the receipt for the surrender of the plate and a copy of a bill of sale to the Tax Office along with a written request for refund.

               What is a bill of sale?

A bill of sale is a document recording a transaction between two parties.  For the seller, a bill of sale shows the date the vehicle was sold and information about the buyer.  For the buyer, it gives specific information about the vehicle that can be verified in the NC DMV or NC VTS system.              

What if I traded my vehicle that the surrendered plate was on?

The taxpayer must provide a copy of the 1st page of the contract from the dealership showing the information on the vehicle traded in.

               What if I turned in my plate but still own the vehicle?

A refund cannot be issued.  The unregistered vehicle should be listed the following January for property tax purposes as an unregistered vehicle for the upcoming tax year.

               What if I totaled my vehicle?

Documentation from your insurance company showing they have possession of the vehicle.

If your plate was removed from the scene of the accident and you cannot retrieve it you should report to the NC DMV that the plate was “lost”. The tax office can verify that information in the NC DMV system.

Beginning in 2013 North Carolina legislation changed the way property taxes were billed on Registered Motor Vehicles. Registered motor vehicle owners now pay the annual taxes at the time of the renewal of tags or the registration of a vehicle. These taxes are paid directly to the NC DMV or our local license plate agencies.

The Counties are required by NC General Statute 105-330.3(2) to collect property taxes for vehicles with even a short lapse in registration and an extended renewal date. This gap billing notice is a property tax bill that covers the months between the expiration of a vehicle’s registration and its renewal or the issuance of a new registration.

Rockingham County Tax Administration will begin to send monthly gap billing notices of taxes due starting in October of 2017. These notices start with registrations or renewals done in July 2017.

The way to avoid receiving a gap billing notice is to renew your registration on time and therefore eliminate a lapse in the registration.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please contact the Rockingham County Tax Administration @ 336-342-8299. 

The North Carolina DMV has just started up an easy way to see your paid registered motor vehicle taxes!

Effective February 20, 2017, you will now have the ability to retrieve the amount of vehicle property taxes that the DMV has collected from you for a given year through the MyDMV portal.

Once you log into the MyDMV Portal (which is located on the main DMV webpage) your personal information appears, there will be a correspondence section outlining each year you paid vehicle property taxes through the DMV. 

You will need to select the year you wish to receive the information. 

The system will then populate a tax statement that will outline the amount of vehicle property taxes collected for the year broken down by the vehicle and county in which it was paid. 

This tax statement can be also be printed for tax purposes. 


If you ever wandered who works in the Tax office, and what they do-take a few minutes and watch this video.


We were recently asked a question concerning tax bills. We receive this question frequently.

Who owes a tax bill if you no longer own the property?

North Carolina State Statutes govern the administration of property taxes. The Statutes are very specific. The responsibility for the tax bill is different with personal property than it is with real property.

For non-registered motor vehicles and other personal property- Whoever owned the property January 1 of the year of the tax bill is the responsible owner, even if the property was destroyed or sold. The location, value and ownership are determined on January 1 of each year.

For real property- The condition, location and value of real property is determined January 1 of each year. The owners of record, and any subsequent owners of the real property, are responsible for the taxes after January 6th, the date taxes go delinquent.

Please do not hesitate to call or email the tax office with any questions you may have.


If you need assistance with the site or would like to make a suggestion, please direct your response to the following email address: